Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Tasmanian Sleeper / G&R

Our first night with Daniel was like sleeping next to the Tasmanian devil. He slept 10 straight hours without waking. Although he slept the whole time, he would sleep silently for 20-30 minutes then roll over and over kicking, squirming and thrashing. Then came another 30 minutes silent sleep.

He does not want to be put down for anything. He is OK going from Renee and I or vice-versa, but he cries if you let go of him. He is also OK with me laying on my back and he will sit up on my belly. Kyle will lay on his back and Daniel likes to fall asleep face down on his chest. After all, it is such a large surface to stretch out on. Its like a king size bed to him.

Daniels first bath experience went OK. He cried a lot and shook from being cold because he would not sit down in the warm water. Maybe it will go better tomorrow. If not, we may just switch to the wash cloth method until we get back home.


It is 11:26am Vietnamese time and Danny boy is taking a nap. We just finished with the Giving and Receiving (G&R) ceremony where he is now officially ours. It was a non-event really. We just walked in and signed some papers and that was it. They were so busy with marriages, adoptions, etc that we had to go to some other room to finish the ceremony.

He is not eating that well, but he is drinking enough. He will eat better in time. Thuy told us that not eating is normal for that for adopted children his age. Just before his nap, we got our first smile. Lots of teeth! Renee captured it on video. If I have time later, I may try to find a way to post it. I was able to get the smile by picking him up high over my head and wheeeeee! Then I discovered a ticklish spot on his belly. Another good smile for that was displayed. I did not keep doing it over and over because I know that the attachment process is a long one and I did not want to use up my allotment of smiles yet.

Oh yeah! I was all worried about changing a diaper for the first time. Its a breeze!



This picture is our first in-person glimpse of Daniel being brought to us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will realize, ANY kind of sleep is good! In your next blog, try to give us a time frame of what you are having to do. See you and your family soon! Lisa

Anonymous said...

Renee,
I am soo happy for you. Daniel is precious and blessed to have parents that love him so. Good luck getting some sleep!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for all of you. I'm so glad he is clingy. That you can handle. Just hold him and cuddle him. I wish the best for all of you. Keep us posted on whats taking place.
Carol

Matt said...

If it makes you feel any better, about half the time even NOW, Lianna won't hardly let me put her down without her pitching a fit. The trick with her, I've found, is to get something on the ground that she's interested in, then she's more willing to let me sit her down and go over and explore it herself. :)